Thursday, June 28, 2007

Psssst. Hey, kid. C'mere. Look what I got...



Foie Gras, baby. Grade B duck's liver.

You know what that means, don't you? Oh yeah. I'm doing a foie gras dish this weekend. I'll share a few foie gras prep steps with you before my final post, just to keep things interesting.

The UPS guy brought the foie gras yesterday afternoon, so I rinsed off all the blood, patted it dry, then stuck it in a ziploc and covered it in milk to soak in the refrigerator for 24 hours:


The 24 hours was up this evening -- about the same time I was happily ensconced in my local movie theatre watching Bruce Willis drive a car up into the air and crash into a helicopter mid-air while blowing other shit up. Yippee-ki-yay, indeed.

So, I came home, rinsed the milk off the foie, and it's now sitting downstairs in the kitchen, coming to room temp for the next 45 minutes. Then, it's deveining time. No guarantees I'll be able to take pictures -- it's 11:30, and I'm not even going to start deveining until just after midnight. My hands will be covered in liver slime and I don't fancy gunking up my camera.

Stay tuned....

4 comments:

Jake said...

I can't tell from those pictures--how big is the foie?

Red Photography said...

Can you tell us where you procured said foie?

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are *so* going to receive some nasty comments, I'm sure.
If you have a Food*Saver, smear some foie gras onto a duck breast, seal it up in a food saver bag, and then cook it "sous vide." It's amazing. There must be a recipe out there for it; I tried it at Nob Hill.

Anonymous said...

I'm also interested in where you bought the foie... I have a source for grade A but would like to know where I can find grade B. Thanks!