Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Vine-Ripe Tomato Sorbet with Tomato Tartare and Basil Oil

I love finding typos in menus, on signs, and in books. But because I think it is perfect and shiny and pretty and flawless, I do NOT love finding typos in The French Laundry Cookbook, however. But I did... oh yes, I did. (Don't worry, Ruhlman, I still love you) This recipe title mentions Basil Oil, but in the ingredient list? Chive oil. In the instructions? Chive oil. What's a girl to do? Um, NOT make basil oil, that's what.

Since I didn't make basil oil for my previous dish, I didn't use basil oil for this dish either, and went with the chive oil I already had on hand from a previous entry. I know it was the right decision because it was absolutely delicious and saved me a trip to the market to buy basil.

This one's a quickie, because it uses many of the same ingredients as the Salad of Petite Summer Tomatoes. The first thing I did was make the Tomato Tartare, which means that I blanched, ice-bathed, peeled and seeded one vine-ripe tomato, then finely chopped it. I sprinkled it with fleur de sel and let it sit in a strainer over a bowl for a little over an hour. Next, I added minced shallot, olive oil, red wine vinegar and minced chives, and let that mixture sit covered in the refrigerator for two hours.

When it was time to plate, I brought out some familiar ingredients and let 'er rip. First on the plate is a dot of balsamic glaze (which made its first appearance here, and has been used faithfully in dishes ever since). Next to the glaze went the chive oil, which was topped with the Tomato Tartare, then a little bit of tomato sorbet, a few flakes of fleur de sel with a garlic tuile on the side:


I know this may not be the best photo, or most exciting dish you've ever seen, but even though this used many of the same ingredients as the previous tomato dish, this had a very different taste. It was even cleaner and definitely lighter -- a good palate cleanser. You know, I didn't think I'd like the tomato sorbet with this, but it was really good. And, the balsamic glaze added a very nice touch, as did the chive oil. And who doesn't love shallots!?!? You don't? Really? Wow. What's wrong with you? Kidding.

Up Next: Soup & Sandwich (Grilled Farmhouse Cheddar, Early Girl Tomato Consommé, and Butter-Fried Chips) or Poached Moulard Foie Gras au torchon with Pickled Cherries. Or, you know what? It might be the Clam Chowder. Depends on what I can get and when I can get it, you know?

Brands Used:
Tomatoes from Balducci's
All other produce from Whole Foods

Music to Cook By: KC & The Sunshine Band; Best of. Don't judge. You know you like to do a little dance, make a little love, and get down tonight. Get down tonight. Or, you like to shake your butt when you cook. Any of the above work for me.


2 comments:

the milliner said...

This tomato sorbet is also really good atop gazpacho, with a little dab of sour cream and some avocado slices. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of this trauma this afternoon.I appreciate every single word.

I always thought that crab sandwiches were similar to crabcakes, but I guess that's what is called lump crab, yes?

I would have named them all Sandra Lee, if you drink enough of her 'tinis you'll see 6 of her.